Nepal’s Opposition vows to dislodge Bhattarai govt
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Opposition parties have vowed to topple the Maoist government through street protests for refusing to forge consensus on a national unity government to end the lingering political deadlock in the country.
Talking to reporters in Dang district in the western Nepal, senior leader of Nepali Congress Sher Bahadur Deuba said that a storm of agitation would be created to oust the current government as Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai was reluctant to forge consensus.
He also said that the government would not last long as it has been receiving severe criticism from all sides, claiming that the country would not get an outlet without consensus.
Deuba said that the country has been a hostage of indecision due to the Maoist-led government.
The government is willing to intervene in judiciary by interfering in the ongoing investigation in the killing of journalist Dekendra Raj Thapa, he pointed out.
Deuba`s remarks came a day after 16 political parties launched joint agitation starting from Dailekh district, where journalist Thapa was murdered by Maoist cadres nine years ago.
The police have arrested five district level Maoist cadres in connection with the murder and the Prime Minister has come under severe criticism for his instruction to halt the judicial probe into the murder.
Meanwhile, senior leaders from the opposition parties on Saturday announced the start of anti-government protests in Dailekh, a western Nepal district, where thousands of people have taken to the streets demanding stern action against those involved in the murder of journalist Dekendra Thapa.
After the failure to come up with a consensus prime ministerial candidate as called by the president, opposition parties had earlier this week announced 20-day long protests aimed at dislodging the incumbent government led by Bhattarai.
They claimed that this time the anti-government protests would turn into a mass movement.
"Baburam Bhattarai is clinging to the power even as he is no more a legitimate Prime Minister," Nepali Congress leader Ram Sharan Mahat said addressing the protest rally in Dailekh.
"The Prime Minister is so shameless that he is not ready to quit the government even after the President issued several deadlines for the formation of a new government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly