New Afghan police attack on NATO forces; no deaths
The new US ambassador to Afghanistan called a sudden rash of attacks on international forces by their Afghan partners "troubling" on Monday.
Kabul: The new US ambassador to Afghanistan called a sudden rash of attacks on international forces by their Afghan partners "troubling" on Monday, after an Afghan policeman opened fire on NATO forces in the fifth such assault in a week.
No international service members were killed in the latest attack. A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the shooting in the eastern province of Nangarhar, claiming the attacker was a police officer who had been in contact with insurgents before the assault.
A spike in so-called "green-on-blue" attacks, in which Afghan security forces or attackers wearing their uniforms turn their guns on coalition troops, has raised concerns as NATO aims to turn over control for security to Afghan forces in a little more than two years.
"It`s obviously very troubling, not just to us, but it`s also very troubling to our Afghan partners," US Ambassador James Cunningham told reporters in the capital in his first public comments after taking over the post earlier in the day.
"There`s a lot of work being done to understand why this is happening," Cunningham said.
He said it was not clear if all of the attackers were Taliban infiltrators, but noted that the strikes still threaten the "confidence and trust" needed for the two military forces to work together.
"Obviously this undermines or attacks that confidence and trust," Cunningham said.
Taliban insurgents are eager to exploit any such rift.
The trend also raises renewed concern that insurgents may be infiltrating the Afghan Army and police, despite intensified screening.
At least seven American service members have been killed in the past week by either their Afghan counterparts or attackers wearing their uniforms.
NATO spokesman Charlie Stadtlander said an initial investigation indicated that today`s attacker was an Afghan police officer, though the man was wearing civilian clothes.
He said there were no NATO deaths but would not say if any international service members were wounded in the attack, citing coalition policy.
At least one Afghan intelligence agent was wounded in Monday`s shooting, according to according to Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor.
"The shooter has escaped, and Afghan security forces are looking for him," Abdulzai said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid issued a statement this afternoon praising the shooting. He said the police attacker had been "waiting for such an opportunity to attack" international forces.