New Constitution may not be drafted within May 28: Nepal President
Kathmandu: Nepal President Ram Baran Yadav on Saturday hoped that the ongoing peace process will reach its logical conclusion though the new Constitution may not be drafted within the stipulated time frame of May 28.
"It is the responsibility of all the political parties of Nepal to ensure a smooth conclusion for the peace process and frame the Constitution unanimously," he said on the sidelines of a Yoga session here.
However, Yadav said that Constituent Assembly (CA) may not be able to draft the new Constitution as the political parties are yet to reach a consensus on the matter.
"Chances are slim that the draft constitution will be completed by the new time of May 28," Yadav said.
The comments of Yadav come at a time when media reports quoted the Maoists as saying that following the demise of Koirala, "certain elements" have become active and want to derail the peace process and drafting of the Constitution.
The Constituent Assembly has failed to frame a draft by the March 05 deadline following lack of consensus among the main political parties. The CA has already exceeded the deadlines many times earlier as well.
Condoling the death of late Nepal prime minister GP Koirala, a strong votary of democracy in the nation, Yadav said government is determined to complete the tasks in time.
"After the monarchy, it is the responsibility of everybody to establish a strong democracy in Nepal. We are determined to complete the peace process and drafting the Constitution in time -- it is the need of this democracy," Yadav said.
He said Nepal wants to enhance the bilateral ties with India.
"Both India and Nepal share a common culture. We want to take this relationship further in coming days and Yoga may play a role in this," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ