New gas reserve discovered in Pakistan
Islamabad: A consortium of companies has discovered a new gas reserve in southern Sindh province that would help reduce gas shortages in Pakistan, officials said on Friday.
Italian energy major ENI, Pakistan Petroleum Limited and Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company are partners in the consortium that made the discovery in Kirthar Fold Belt region, 270 km from Karachi, the capital of Sindh.
"During the production testing, gas flowed at 33 million cubic feet per day, highlighting an excellent potential for the future for energy needs of the country," the Petroleum Ministry said in a statement.
Officials said under a production scheme, gas supply from the reserve would be possible within three years.
Petroleum Minister Sohail Wajahat Siddiqui said the discovery was "good news" for the energy sector.
The discovery of new oil and gas reservoirs are vital for coping with energy shortages, Siddiqui said.
ENI has been in Pakistan since 2000 and is the country`s largest producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM