New gas reserve discovered in Pakistan
Islamabad: A consortium of companies has discovered a new gas reserve in southern Sindh province that would help reduce gas shortages in Pakistan, officials said on Friday.
Italian energy major ENI, Pakistan Petroleum Limited and Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company are partners in the consortium that made the discovery in Kirthar Fold Belt region, 270 km from Karachi, the capital of Sindh.
"During the production testing, gas flowed at 33 million cubic feet per day, highlighting an excellent potential for the future for energy needs of the country," the Petroleum Ministry said in a statement.
Officials said under a production scheme, gas supply from the reserve would be possible within three years.
Petroleum Minister Sohail Wajahat Siddiqui said the discovery was "good news" for the energy sector.
The discovery of new oil and gas reservoirs are vital for coping with energy shortages, Siddiqui said.
ENI has been in Pakistan since 2000 and is the country`s largest producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Sensex zooms over 550 points, Nifty reclaims 7,900-mark
- WATCH | Midnight drama: What happened when guys, police saw bride standing alone on road in Noida
- Bajaj Pulsar cs400 spotted testing again; launching soon
- Mars once hosted habitable environments, reveals study!
- Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq placed under house arrest in Srinagar