New Indian High Commissioner arrives in Pakistan
Islamabad: TCA Raghavan, a diplomat with considerable experience of Pakistan affairs, arrived in the country on Monday to take over as the new Indian High Commissioner.
Raghavan, who served as Deputy High Commissioner in Islamabad about a decade ago, crossed via the Wagah land border.
He will replace Sharat Sabharwal, who was given several extensions after he reached the age of retirement last year. Sabharwal returned to India earlier this month.
During his last stint in Pakistan, Raghavan served under Shivshankar Menon, who went on to become the Foreign Secretary.
An officer of the 1982 batch of the IFS, Raghavan has wide-ranging experience of Pakistan affairs and is highly regarded by Pakistani intellectuals and politicians.
Prior to his appointment as High Commissioner to Singapore, Raghavan headed the division in the Ministry of External Affairs dealing with Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.
A report in the Pakistani media said Raghavan would have to wait for some time for presenting his credentials since President Asif Ali Zardari is away from the country on a private visit.
The wait could be longer if Zardari opts to stay abroad till the expiry of his term in about six weeks, The News daily quoted its sources as saying.
If Zardari does not return to Pakistan till September, Raghavan will have to wait for the election of a new President to submit his credentials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read