New Indian High Commissioner arrives in Pakistan
Islamabad: TCA Raghavan, a diplomat with considerable experience of Pakistan affairs, arrived in the country on Monday to take over as the new Indian High Commissioner.
Raghavan, who served as Deputy High Commissioner in Islamabad about a decade ago, crossed via the Wagah land border.
He will replace Sharat Sabharwal, who was given several extensions after he reached the age of retirement last year. Sabharwal returned to India earlier this month.
During his last stint in Pakistan, Raghavan served under Shivshankar Menon, who went on to become the Foreign Secretary.
An officer of the 1982 batch of the IFS, Raghavan has wide-ranging experience of Pakistan affairs and is highly regarded by Pakistani intellectuals and politicians.
Prior to his appointment as High Commissioner to Singapore, Raghavan headed the division in the Ministry of External Affairs dealing with Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.
A report in the Pakistani media said Raghavan would have to wait for some time for presenting his credentials since President Asif Ali Zardari is away from the country on a private visit.
The wait could be longer if Zardari opts to stay abroad till the expiry of his term in about six weeks, The News daily quoted its sources as saying.
If Zardari does not return to Pakistan till September, Raghavan will have to wait for the election of a new President to submit his credentials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!