New Pakistan Army chief visits troops on LoC
Islamabad: Pakistan`s new army chief Gen Raheel Sharif today visited troops deployed at forward locations along the Line of Control (LoC), which has witnessed tensions and fierce exchanges of fire in the recent past.
This was his first visit to the region since taking over late last month, and part of a series of trips to army bases around the country.
Sharif was briefed by the local formation commander on the prevailing security situation along the LoC. Rawalpindi Corps Commander Lt Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa accompanied him during the visit.
The new Army chief, who took over from Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, appreciated the morale, operational preparedness and vigil being maintained by troops, a military statement said.
The LoC had witnessed tensions since the beginning of the year. Two Indian soldiers were killed along the LoC in January while five more died in an attack by Pakistani troops in August.
India accused Pakistan of repeatedly violating the ceasefire put in place along the LoC in 2003.
Sharif`s first visit as army chief was to North and South Waziristan regions. He will visit army bases across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video