New Pakistan Army chief visits troops on LoC
Islamabad: Pakistan`s new army chief Gen Raheel Sharif today visited troops deployed at forward locations along the Line of Control (LoC), which has witnessed tensions and fierce exchanges of fire in the recent past.
This was his first visit to the region since taking over late last month, and part of a series of trips to army bases around the country.
Sharif was briefed by the local formation commander on the prevailing security situation along the LoC. Rawalpindi Corps Commander Lt Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa accompanied him during the visit.
The new Army chief, who took over from Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, appreciated the morale, operational preparedness and vigil being maintained by troops, a military statement said.
The LoC had witnessed tensions since the beginning of the year. Two Indian soldiers were killed along the LoC in January while five more died in an attack by Pakistani troops in August.
India accused Pakistan of repeatedly violating the ceasefire put in place along the LoC in 2003.
Sharif`s first visit as army chief was to North and South Waziristan regions. He will visit army bases across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth