New Pakistani PM vows supremacy of Parliament
Islamabad: Pakistan`s new Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Asharaf has vowed to ensure supremacy of Parliament, strengthen democracy and hold free and fair elections.
"Powers to all institutions flow from the Parliament," he said during his address to the nation on Friday night after being elected as the country`s 25th prime minister.
"The Parliament manifests aspirations of the people and we shall ensure that nobody exercises this right of the Parliament and the people," Geo TV quoted him as saying.
"Some undemocratic minds try to belittle democracy and the people of Pakistan," he said adding "This is an irresponsible thinking that the country can be run against the aspirations of the people."
Recounting the sacrifices of his leaders Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto, former Pakistani prime ministers, Ashraf also pledged to follow their path and make every effort to strengthen democratic institutions and respect the will of people.
"We are at a critical juncture of history that entrusts on political forces to manifest sagacity, unity and collaboration to take forward the democratic process and ensure free, fair and transparent elections for the continuity of democracy," Pervez said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video