New Pakistani PM vows supremacy of Parliament
Islamabad: Pakistan`s new Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Asharaf has vowed to ensure supremacy of Parliament, strengthen democracy and hold free and fair elections.
"Powers to all institutions flow from the Parliament," he said during his address to the nation on Friday night after being elected as the country`s 25th prime minister.
"The Parliament manifests aspirations of the people and we shall ensure that nobody exercises this right of the Parliament and the people," Geo TV quoted him as saying.
"Some undemocratic minds try to belittle democracy and the people of Pakistan," he said adding "This is an irresponsible thinking that the country can be run against the aspirations of the people."
Recounting the sacrifices of his leaders Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto, former Pakistani prime ministers, Ashraf also pledged to follow their path and make every effort to strengthen democratic institutions and respect the will of people.
"We are at a critical juncture of history that entrusts on political forces to manifest sagacity, unity and collaboration to take forward the democratic process and ensure free, fair and transparent elections for the continuity of democracy," Pervez said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!