New US Ambassador arrives in Pakistan
Islamabad: New US Ambassador-designate to
Pakistan, Cameron Munter, arrived here today at a time when
Islamabad is facing increasing pressure from Washington to go
after Taliban and al Qaeda operatives in their stronghold of
Munter is scheduled to present his credentials to
President Asif Ali Zardari on October 27.
Munter arrived from Washington, where he recently
participated in the third US-Pakistan Strategic Dialogue
meetings. A career diplomat, Munter completed a tour of duty
at the American embassy in Baghdad in August.
He served in Baghdad first as Political-Military
Minister-Counsellor in 2009 and then as Deputy Chief of
Mission for the first half of 2010.
He also served as Ambassador in Belgrade during
2007-2009. Munter`s wife Marilyn Wyatt, who has extensive
experience working with non-profit organisations and
communications, is a former US diplomat and she will be
working with the US Agency for International Development in
Munter will replace Anne Patterson as the US envoy at
a time when the American military is calling for the Pakistan
Army to move into North Waziristan, where US drone attacks
have significantly increased since September.
Pakistan has made it clear that a decision on
launching an offensive in the tribal region will be decided on
the basis of its capabilities and national interests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation