`Next general election in Pak to be held on time`
Islamabad: The Pakistan People’s Party-led government will complete its five-year term and the next general election will be held on time, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said on Monday.
Only elements "who had been contesting elections with others` backing" are now talking about delaying the polls after losing that support, he said during an interaction with journalists here.
Kaira, a close aide of President Asif Ali Zardari, said the law and order situation in the country was much better than that in 2008, when the last general election was held.
Therefore, the polls could not be delayed on the pretext of a poor law and order situation, he said.
He noted that during his speech at a recent rally at Malikwal in Punjab, the President had clearly said that the government would complete its constitutional term and the general election would be held on time.
The PPP-led government is set to complete its term in March next year and polls are expected to be held before May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why