Nigeria donates $1 mn to Pakistani flood victims
Abuja: Nigeria on Thursday donated USD 1 million to the flood victims in Pakistan, following appeals by UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon for world governments to donate relief materials to Islamabad.
President Goodluck Jonathan also commiserated with the government and people of Pakistan, who in the last one week have been plagued by overwhelming rain storms and flooding which have killed over 1,500 people.
The floods which are considered the worst in the last eight years, have caused extensive destruction to Pakistan, a statement by the Nigerian Foreign Ministry said yesterday.
"Jonathan has approved the donation to assist the country towards economic recovery efforts and rehabilitation of over 2.5 million people displaced by raging floods," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH