Nigeria donates $1 mn to Pakistani flood victims
Abuja: Nigeria on Thursday donated USD 1 million to the flood victims in Pakistan, following appeals by UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon for world governments to donate relief materials to Islamabad.
President Goodluck Jonathan also commiserated with the government and people of Pakistan, who in the last one week have been plagued by overwhelming rain storms and flooding which have killed over 1,500 people.
The floods which are considered the worst in the last eight years, have caused extensive destruction to Pakistan, a statement by the Nigerian Foreign Ministry said yesterday.
"Jonathan has approved the donation to assist the country towards economic recovery efforts and rehabilitation of over 2.5 million people displaced by raging floods," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself