Nigeria donates $1 mn to Pakistani flood victims
Abuja: Nigeria on Thursday donated USD 1 million to the flood victims in Pakistan, following appeals by UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon for world governments to donate relief materials to Islamabad.
President Goodluck Jonathan also commiserated with the government and people of Pakistan, who in the last one week have been plagued by overwhelming rain storms and flooding which have killed over 1,500 people.
The floods which are considered the worst in the last eight years, have caused extensive destruction to Pakistan, a statement by the Nigerian Foreign Ministry said yesterday.
"Jonathan has approved the donation to assist the country towards economic recovery efforts and rehabilitation of over 2.5 million people displaced by raging floods," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hearing test may identify infants with autism risk
- Auto-rickshaw strike in Delhi, commuters hit hard
- 7th Pay Commission: Notification issued; central govt employees, pensioners to get increased payout for August
- Video alert! Divyanka Tripathi - Vivek Dahiya’s wedding teaser will inspire you to fall in love
- Watch: Fire officials rescue calf after it fell into well in Mirzapur