Nigeria donates $1 mn to Pakistani flood victims
Abuja: Nigeria on Thursday donated USD 1 million to the flood victims in Pakistan, following appeals by UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon for world governments to donate relief materials to Islamabad.
President Goodluck Jonathan also commiserated with the government and people of Pakistan, who in the last one week have been plagued by overwhelming rain storms and flooding which have killed over 1,500 people.
The floods which are considered the worst in the last eight years, have caused extensive destruction to Pakistan, a statement by the Nigerian Foreign Ministry said yesterday.
"Jonathan has approved the donation to assist the country towards economic recovery efforts and rehabilitation of over 2.5 million people displaced by raging floods," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Trupti Desai seeks God's blessing ahead of Bombay HC verdict on women's entry in Haji Ali Dargah case
- I feel proud of Priyanka, Deepika: Anushka Sharma
- Euro 2016: Spain set for duel against Italy; England eye quarters vs Iceland
- Myanmar national held for smuggling heroin
- WhatsApp may soon have music sharing, bigger emojis features