Nine die in Bangladesh flyover collapse
Dhaka: At least nine people were killed and many injured when an under-construction flyover collapsed in Bangladesh`s southeastern port city of Chittagong, police said Sunday.
Three girders of the 1.4-km-long flyover collapsed around 7.30 p.m. Saturday, Xinhua reported.
Rescuers pulled out six bodies from under the debris, while hospital officials said three more died during treatment.
Protesting the delay in the rescue operations, hundreds of people demonstrated and set ablaze construction materials after the incident.
Police fired tear-gas shells as protesters vandalised several vehicles. At least 10 motorcycles were also set on fire.
The Bangladesh army was called in to assist the Rapid Action Battalion, Border Guard Bangladesh and police in the rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday