Nine die in Bangladesh flyover collapse
Dhaka: At least nine people were killed and many injured when an under-construction flyover collapsed in Bangladesh`s southeastern port city of Chittagong, police said Sunday.
Three girders of the 1.4-km-long flyover collapsed around 7.30 p.m. Saturday, Xinhua reported.
Rescuers pulled out six bodies from under the debris, while hospital officials said three more died during treatment.
Protesting the delay in the rescue operations, hundreds of people demonstrated and set ablaze construction materials after the incident.
Police fired tear-gas shells as protesters vandalised several vehicles. At least 10 motorcycles were also set on fire.
The Bangladesh army was called in to assist the Rapid Action Battalion, Border Guard Bangladesh and police in the rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured