Nine die in Bangladesh flyover collapse
Dhaka: At least nine people were killed and many injured when an under-construction flyover collapsed in Bangladesh`s southeastern port city of Chittagong, police said Sunday.
Three girders of the 1.4-km-long flyover collapsed around 7.30 p.m. Saturday, Xinhua reported.
Rescuers pulled out six bodies from under the debris, while hospital officials said three more died during treatment.
Protesting the delay in the rescue operations, hundreds of people demonstrated and set ablaze construction materials after the incident.
Police fired tear-gas shells as protesters vandalised several vehicles. At least 10 motorcycles were also set on fire.
The Bangladesh army was called in to assist the Rapid Action Battalion, Border Guard Bangladesh and police in the rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'