No additional request for troops for Afghanistan: US

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 09:48

Washington: The White House has said that it has not received any additional request for troops from General Stanley A McChrystal, the commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan.
General McChrystal had last week submitted to the Pentagon his assessment report on current situation in Afghanistan. "We have not received a request for additional resources," the White House spokesman, Robert Gibbs said.

Neither does the White House anticipates any such request at least for the next couple of weeks, he said. "In terms of additional resource requests, I think General McChrystal and
(Defence) Secretary (Robert) Gates have said that would be forthcoming in a separate document over the next few coming weeks," Gibbs said.

Gibbs said the McChrystal report was part of the rigorous reassessment of the Administration`s strategy in Afghanistan that Obama demanded when he came into office.

"Obviously he made some initial decisions to ensure a security environment for recent elections which I think most people will tell you were important for those to happen".

He will continue to talk with staff here, and as I think Secretary Gates said last week, he will be getting from Secretary Gates and Admiral Mullen, as well as General
Petraeus, their thoughts on the McChrystal assessment. I think those meetings will be ongoing," he said.

"That we don`t anticipate (request for additional troops) coming for weeks, so I don`t anticipate a decision before the President has had a chance to discuss General McChrystal`s assessment with all of his team and all of those up and down the line of up and down the chain of command," Gibbs said.

"I think one of the things that he will do as he has done on any number of these decisions is ask for everyone`s opinion and take that into account as we move forward," he said.

While taking a call on additional resources, Gibbs said Obama will take into account the degree to which additional resources can be borne not just by the public but also by
those who are providing the resources.

"Obviously there`s been a tremendous strain on our military forces over the past several years that will be taken into account. I think he`ll take into account assessments by
commanders on the ground in the region, as well as those at the Pentagon," he said.

"I think a number of factors will go into his assessment on where we are in Afghanistan and what our way forward is," Gibbs said.

Bureau Report



First Published: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 09:48

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus