`No deadline` for Afghan troop withdrawal: US envoy
Kabul: Washington`s ambassador to Kabul
said today no deadline exists for withdrawing US troops from
Afghanistan and recommitted the US to helping build the
capacity and competence of Afghan security forces.
US forces would begin a "gradual and responsible
transition" in July 2011 conditional on the readiness of
Afghanistan`s own police and army to take over the security of
their war-battered country, Karl Eikenberry said.
"US combat forces will start to return from
Afghanistan in July 2011. It is not a deadline, despite what
some in both the United States and Afghanistan have said," he
told a gathering of senior Afghan officials and mostly Western
"Our troops will begin a gradual and responsible
transition in 2011, taking into account the conditions on the
ground and Afghanistan`s ability to handle its security
requirements," he said.
US President Barack Obama has pledged an extra 30,000
troops to bolster the 71,000 already fighting a Taliban-led
insurgency that has become more virulent and deadly in the
In a major speech unveiling a new fast-track war
strategy, Obama said the surge would see troops in Afghanistan
"seize the initiative" to end the unpopular war and begin
pulling out in July 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video