No deterioration in US-Pak relationship: Haqqani
Washington: Denying that the relationship
between the US and Pakistan has deteriorated, Islamabad’s top
envoy in Washington has said that both the countries need each
other and share multidimensional ties.
"Not at all," Pakistan`s Ambassador to US Husain
Haqqani said when asked if the relationship between US and
Islamabad has deteriorated.
"Pakistan and the United States have a complex,
multidimensional relationship. Both countries need each other.
Occasionally there are differences between the best of
allies," he said during an interview with National Public
"We`ve seen that through history: France and the
United States had problems; Britain and the United States did
not always agree on the conduct of the Second World War," he
"I think what we see is basically a difficult, complex
relationship playing out in an age of media glare. But what
comes in the media glare is not always what happens in private
between us as allies," he added.
Responding to questions about US withholding military
aid to Pakistan, Haqqani said "what has been withheld or
delayed are coalition support payments and is not aid."
"They are reimbursement for Pakistan`s expenditure in
the course of action against terrorists. And these payments
have not actually come through since December 2010," he said.
The United States has been relatively slow in
reimbursing Pakistan. We will take it up with them, have taken
it up with them, and we hope that it will clear up over time,
said the Pakistan`s Ambassador.
"Pakistan and the United States have been allies for a
long time. Where we have always disagreed is that the American
timelines for specific actions are not necessarily the same as
Pakistani timelines," he said.
"We have to take into account a lot of ground
realities. We have to take into account how our public feels,"
The fundamental fact is that the will and the
intention to eliminate terrorism from Pakistan is shared both
by Islamabad and Washington, he said.
"Terrorists are as much Pakistan`s enemies as they are
of the US," Haqqani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video