No need to release Osama’s pictures: US
Washington: The US does not plan to release images related to the covert raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan fearing that this might incite emotions, a top counter terrorism official said Sunday ahead of the first death anniversary of the al-Qaeda chief.
"There`s no need to release the photos and video because there`s no doubt whatsoever that Bin Laden is dead," Deputy National Security Adviser to US President Barack Obama, John Brennan told the Fox News in an interview.
"What we don`t want to do is put out anything that is going to unnecessarily incite emotions on this issue. We believe that it`s unnecessary to put something like that out," Brennan said, ruling out any possibility to release these pictures.
"There is no doubt whatsoever that bin Laden is dead. I think by all accounts, it was a very successful raid on that compound in Abbottabad" he said.
"These photos were confirmation for the government that it was bin Laden. And so, therefore, we believe that it`s unnecessary to put something like that out," he added.
Responding to a question, Brennan said the US has degraded the organisation significantly over the past decade and over the past several years in particular as they have taken off the battlefield the founding leader.
He said the US will continue to apply "pressure" not just in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but Yemen as well -- where al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula poses a "serious threat" to US security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!