No plan to hold talks with Karzai govt: Taliban
Kabul: The Taliban have rejected overtures for peace talks from Afghan President Hamid Karzai, vowing to continue their violent insurgency across the country.
Karzai appeared desperate to bring the Taliban, who control large swathes of the countryside, where most Afghans live, to the negotiating table.
“All those Taliban and other militant bodies that are working against their own country now are welcome to participate in the life of the country and to benefit from the laws and the freedom that Afghanistan offers today, with the condition that they respect the Afghan constitution, that they continue with the rebuilding of Afghanistan and that they renounce violence,” he had recently said in Tokyo.
“As the presence of the international community in Afghanistan is a reality, so is the need for [the Taliban] to participate in any peace talks that we may have together,” he had added.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the Taliban showed no interest in good-faith negotiation, and rejected Karzai`s overtures.
“Taliban have no plan to hold talks with the powerless and puppet government of Karzai,” the paper quoted a spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, as saying.
“Reports that Taliban representatives were in Tokyo seeking to deal with Karzai were ‘a wave of enemy propaganda … by some officials of the stooge Kabul regime’,” the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof