No plan to hold talks with Karzai govt: Taliban
Kabul: The Taliban have rejected overtures for peace talks from Afghan President Hamid Karzai, vowing to continue their violent insurgency across the country.
Karzai appeared desperate to bring the Taliban, who control large swathes of the countryside, where most Afghans live, to the negotiating table.
“All those Taliban and other militant bodies that are working against their own country now are welcome to participate in the life of the country and to benefit from the laws and the freedom that Afghanistan offers today, with the condition that they respect the Afghan constitution, that they continue with the rebuilding of Afghanistan and that they renounce violence,” he had recently said in Tokyo.
“As the presence of the international community in Afghanistan is a reality, so is the need for [the Taliban] to participate in any peace talks that we may have together,” he had added.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the Taliban showed no interest in good-faith negotiation, and rejected Karzai`s overtures.
“Taliban have no plan to hold talks with the powerless and puppet government of Karzai,” the paper quoted a spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, as saying.
“Reports that Taliban representatives were in Tokyo seeking to deal with Karzai were ‘a wave of enemy propaganda … by some officials of the stooge Kabul regime’,” the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani