No plans to amend blasphemy law: Gilani
Islamabad: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said his government has "no intention" of
amending Pakistan`s blasphemy law, which has been at the
centre of a heated debate after liberals and rights activists
called for its repeal.
Gilani made the remarks during a meeting with a group
of ministers and parliamentarians that called on him this
evening, said a statement issued by the premier`s office.
He said it was the Pakistan People`s Party government
led by late Prime Minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto that introduced
the blasphemy law.
"Therefore any amendment in this law would be against
our party line," Gilani said.
Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, a senior PPP leader,
was assassinated earlier this month by a police guard who said
he was angered by the politician`s opposition to the blasphemy
Religious hardliners and opposition political parties
have stepped up pressure on the government not to amend or
repeal the controversial law.
Gilani said his government believes in taking all
political partners on board while deciding national issues.
The government is pursuing a policy of political
reconciliation and dialogue to solve the problems confronting
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'