Colombo: The government on Thursday dismissed any
political connection to an incident reported in the local
media that a group of Sri Lankan pilgrims allegedly came under
attack in Chennai.
Sri Lanka`s Daily Mirror today quoted one of the relative
of the victims as saying that the pilgrims had come under
attack while they were shopping in Chennai.
A spokesman for the foreign ministry`s communication
division said it was an isolated incident which had no
Keheliya Rambukwella, the minister of information told
the weekly news briefing that investigations were proceeding.
"We trust there will be a positive response to diplomatic
contacts made," he said.
The Mirror said the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission in
Chennai had transferred the pilgrims to a hotel in a safe
It claimed the Lankans had been attacked in Chennai by a
group who had arrived on a motorcycle and a van. The pilgrims
were from the soutern district town of Bentara Elpitiya.
They had left for India on July 17 on a pilgrimage to
Buddhist town of Bodh Gaya in Bihar and were scheduled to
return on August 5, the report said.