No president`s rule in Nepal: Official
Kathmandu: Amid the deadlock over
extending the term of the Constituent Assembly beyond May 28,
a top official on Wednesday ruled out the imposition of president’s
rule in Nepal.
There won`t be any presidential rule in the country
even after May 28 when the Constituent Assembly term expires,
said Rajendra Dahal, Press Adviser to President Dr Ram Baran
Since the constitution has not vested any executive
power in the president, it would not be possible to impose
president’s rule, he said. There is no legal ground that
allows the president to impose his rule, he said in western
Nepal`s Dang district.
Dahal’s remark comes in the wake of speculations that
president`s rule may be imposed in the country after the
expiry of the Constituent Assembly and the failure of the
political parties to find a consensus to extend its term.
Nepal government has registered a motion in the
601-member Constituent Assembly to extend its term by one year
to avoid possible constitutional crisis after May-end
However, the support of the Unified CPN-Maoist, which
has nearly 35 percent of the seats in the House, is necessary
for the passage of the resolution by required two-thirds
Dahal said the present political crisis is the result
of lack of trust among the political parties.
There is no other option than forging cooperation and
unity among the political parties to resolve the crisis, he
Asking the political parties to build a consensus on
the issue, he said three the major political parties --
CPN-Maoist, Nepali Congress and CPN-UML -- have made the
Assembly a hostage.
In a bid to prevent a constitutional crisis, the
Nepal government has tabled a key amendment to the Interim
Constitution to extend the Assembly`s tenure by a year amid
its failure to promulgate a new Constitution by May 28.
The Maoists, who have refused to cooperate with the
government`s decision, want Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal
to quit and formation of a new coalition government led by
them to rescue the peace process and draft a new constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced