No refugee status to Pakistani Hindus: Indian govt
New Delhi: Government on Friday ruled out granting refugee status to Pakistani Hindu immigrants who have crossed over to India to escape persecution there.
"At the moment, we cannot grant them refugee status," Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said replying to a discussion on a private members` resolution in the Lok Sabha.
He, however, said no Pakistani national, whose application for long-term visa was under consideration of government, would be deported to Pakistan.
The Minister also listed a number of steps taken by the government since 1955 to address matters related to persons displaced from Pakistan.
The resolution on `Formulation of an Action Plan to Rehabilitate Persons Displaced from Pakistan`, moved by Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP), was negatived after being put to voice vote.
As per convention, a member withdraws the resolution after the reply by the Minister. Meghwal insisted that his conscience did not permit him to follow the convention as he was not satisfied with the Minister`s reply.
Meghwal said the government had not given any assurance on issues raised by him including conducting a survey of Pakistani nationals residing in Rajasthan, Gujarat and Indore and alleged ill-treatment of minorities in Pakistan, including Hindu, Christian, Ahmadiyya Muslim and Parsi communities.
He also wanted the government to take care of Pakistani Hindus, numbering more than 17,000, who have taken refuge at private-run transit camps in Jodhpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj