No regrets over Taliban leader’s death: Pak envoy
Denver: Pakistan`s Ambassador to the United States said he doesn`t regret the missile strike that killed a Taliban leader, but maintained his country`s opposition to US attacks inside its border.
Pakistan`s military has been intensifying its fight against the Taliban even as the US has continued its use of unmanned drones to fire dozens of missiles against insurgents.
Ambassador Husain Haqqani said last night that his country maintains that action on its side of the border with Afghanistan should be taken with Pakistani participation and that the US should provide the country with its own drones.
An August missile strike killed Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, the latest of several top al Qaeda and Taliban commanders killed in similar attacks.
"We are concerned about the impact that unilateral US strikes can sometimes have the effect on public opinion. That is our official position," Haqqani said.
"But we are not going to express any regret that Mr Mehsud was eliminated as a result of the strike," he said.
He did not directly answer a question over whether Pakistan is quietly cooperating with the US on military strikes as some observers have speculated.
Haqqani was in Denver for a question-and-answer session hosted by the counter-terrorism institute The CELL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA