No rush for the exits: New US envoy to Afghanistan
Kabul: The new US ambassador to Afghanistan says the United States is not rushing to leave the country and cautions that what happens in the months ahead will have far-reaching consequences across the globe.
Ryan Crocker, the new top US diplomat in Afghanistan, was sworn in Monday at the US embassy in Kabul.
Crocker says the US left Afghanistan the wrong way in the early 1990s, which resulted in a civil war, the rise of the Taliban, al Qaeda using Afghanistan as a sanctuary and the September 11 attacks.
He also says the US has no interest in permanent bases in Afghanistan. And he says he`s confident that even after combat troops leave in 2014, the US will be able to help prevent the Taliban from ever returning to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!