No `safe houses` to accommodate jailed Afridi
Peshawar: The government of Pakistan`s Punjab province has refused to accommodate Dr Shakil Afridi at the Adiala Jail saying the province already has its fair share of law and order problems.
According to The Express Tribune, the federal government had requested Punjab`s provincial administration to house Dr Afridi, who was sentenced to 33 years of imprisonment after being found ``guilty`` of helping the CIA track down Osama Bin Laden. Punjab, however, turned down the request.
The Punjab government maintains that Dr Afridi has become a security threat and that the province cannot afford to take upon itself another law and order burden.
After his arrest, Dr Afridi was sent to Peshawar`s central prison, but the federal government has sought his transfer after a letter issued by Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa`s home and tribal affairs department stated that Dr Afridi was not safe in Peshawar.
"Keeping Dr Afridi at the central prison in Peshawar is risky keeping in view the recent attack on Banu Jail. We cannot keep him here and that is why we wrote a letter to the interior ministry to shift Dr Afridi to Adiala Jail as soon as possible," official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS