No secret deal with Maoists: Madhav Kumar
Kathmandu: Nepal Prime Minister Madhav
Kumar Nepal on Tuesday rubbished reports that his party CPN-UML had
reached a secret deal with the Maoists before Prachanda
stepped aside from the prime ministerial race.
At a meeting of the leaders of 10 ruling parties
today, the caretaker prime minister said there was no deal
with the Maoists, but only an understanding that Prachanda`s
withdrawal would facilitate formation of a consensus
"There was no agreement signed between the Maoists and
the UML than to form a national consensus government after
Prachanda quits the race," the Prime Minister said.
The Prime Minister tried to clear the air over the
issue after leaders of the political parties sought a
clarification over recent media reports that the two parties
might have struck a secret deal on formation of a new
Some of the parties also suggested that Nepali
Congress leader Ramchandra Poudyal withdraw his candidature
for prime minister`s post to pave way for forging a?broader
It is notable that Nepal`s political parties have
failed to elect a prime minister even after seven rounds of
voting. While Prachanda quit the race, Poudyal has stuck to
The Maoist chief, who met the Prime Minister yesterday
assured him that his party was committed to completing the
peace process and asked the government to expedite the process
of integration and rehabilitation of the Maoist combatants
into the Army.
During today`s meeting the leaders of the parties also
expressed concern that the delay in passing a annual budget
would leave the government short of funds, hindering
distribution of salaries and benefits to civil servants during
the upcoming festivals of Vijaya Dashami and Deepawali.
The delay on government formation has also delayed the
passing of the new budget.
They also advised the government to make alternative
arrangements to endorse the budget for the current fiscal year
by next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam