No specific info on Maoists` presence in Osmania campus: VC
Hyderabad: Osmania University (OU) Vice
Chancellor T Tirupati Rao today said he does not have any
specific information on allegation that Maoists have joined
the Telangana movement at the campus here.
"We do not have any such information about the presence of
Naxalites in the campus. Though, there are some non-boarders,"
he told reporters after chairing an emergency meeting of the
peace committee constituted by the state government.
The Andhra Pradesh government in its appeal before the
Supreme Court recently challenging the High Court`s direction
to withdraw paramilitary forces from the campus, the
nerve-centre of agitation, had submitted that it strongly
suspects that Maoists have infiltrated the movement and
perhaps are inside the campus.
The Vice-Chancellor said, there were some non-boarders
staying in the university hostels and that the students have
been told to be cautious. "We have initiated steps to deal
with the non-boarders in hostels who are staying along with
students," he said.
Rao said, "policemen are confining themselves to the
campus police station after the High Court order. We told them
that they should intervene only on our request".
Earlier, the meeting which reviewed yesterday`s violent
incidents on the campus including the self-immolation bid of a
youth, who died later, resolved to involve the students in
confidence-building measures to restore peace and normalcy.
Rao said his priority was to establish peace in the
campus. "We want to involve students as part of the
confidence-building measures to create a climate of trust on
"Our priority is establishing peace besides on saving the
students` academic year and on conducting exams. The faculty
members would interact with the students and try to attend to
their problems to see that peace is maintained," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray