No specific info on Maoists` presence in Osmania campus: VC
Hyderabad: Osmania University (OU) Vice
Chancellor T Tirupati Rao today said he does not have any
specific information on allegation that Maoists have joined
the Telangana movement at the campus here.
"We do not have any such information about the presence of
Naxalites in the campus. Though, there are some non-boarders,"
he told reporters after chairing an emergency meeting of the
peace committee constituted by the state government.
The Andhra Pradesh government in its appeal before the
Supreme Court recently challenging the High Court`s direction
to withdraw paramilitary forces from the campus, the
nerve-centre of agitation, had submitted that it strongly
suspects that Maoists have infiltrated the movement and
perhaps are inside the campus.
The Vice-Chancellor said, there were some non-boarders
staying in the university hostels and that the students have
been told to be cautious. "We have initiated steps to deal
with the non-boarders in hostels who are staying along with
students," he said.
Rao said, "policemen are confining themselves to the
campus police station after the High Court order. We told them
that they should intervene only on our request".
Earlier, the meeting which reviewed yesterday`s violent
incidents on the campus including the self-immolation bid of a
youth, who died later, resolved to involve the students in
confidence-building measures to restore peace and normalcy.
Rao said his priority was to establish peace in the
campus. "We want to involve students as part of the
confidence-building measures to create a climate of trust on
"Our priority is establishing peace besides on saving the
students` academic year and on conducting exams. The faculty
members would interact with the students and try to attend to
their problems to see that peace is maintained," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!