No travel sans visa: Pak to Sikh pilgrims
Lahore: Pakistani authorities have imposed a ban on the travel of Indian Sikh pilgrims to places for which they do not possess a visa, as 1,400 devotees arrived here to take part in celebrations marking the Baisakhi festival.
The Home Department of Punjab province banned such travel by issuing an official circular, official sources said today.
The circular was sent to the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) which looks after shrines of minority communities and organises pilgrimages to such sites, and to law enforcement agencies.
The circular stated it was the duty of authorities "to provide all facilities and protection to the Sikh yatris (pilgrims). But it is important for their (Sikhs`) protection to disallow them to visit places for which they are not issued visa by the Pakistan High Commission in India."
Law enforcement agencies and the ETPB were asked by the Home Department to enforce the ban at any cost.
The circular said Pakistanis found taking the pilgrims to cities for which they had not been issued visas would be strictly dealt with.
Official sources said the Home Department issued the circular following reports that ETPB often entertained requests by the visiting Sikhs to permit them to visit gurdwaras in places for which they had not been issued visas.
Around 1,400 Indian Sikhs arrived in Lahore yesterday to take part in celebrations marking the Baisakhi festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!