No US-911, UK-911 and UK-77 car numbers in Pak
Islamabad: Authorities in the Pakistani
capital have decided not to issue the vehicle registration
numbers US-911, UK-911 and UK-77 to anyone due to their
perceived links to the 9/11 terror attacks in the US and the
7/7 London bombings.
The decision was made by the Islamabad Capital
Territory`s Excise and Taxation Office, which is currently
allotting VIP numbers from the US and UK series.
Officials realised that the three registration numbers
could "bear a resemblance to the fateful incidents of 9/11 and
7/7", the Daily Times newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
The administration thought these numbers "could raise
disputes" and decided to seal them, the report said.
An ETO officer said "many people" were asking for
these numbers and were even willing to pay an extra amount or
bribe officials to get them.
He said many applicants approached the ETO through
influential persons to get some VIP numbers.
Now that the three numbers have been sealed, nobody
except Deputy Commissioner Amer Ali Ahmed can issue them, the
Sharif Gul, an officer at the ETO, confirmed that he
had been instructed that some particular numbers of the US and
UK series should not be allotted to anyone and that the
numbers have been sealed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read