No US Special Forces in Sri Lanka: Military
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Saturday rejected a top US
military commander`s statement that American Special Forces
were deployed in the island nation.
There was no American or any other foreign forces
stationed in the country, Sri Lankan military spokesman Brig
Nihal Hapuarachchi said.
His remarks follow a top Pentagon commander`s statement
that the US Special Forces teams were stationed in India, Sri
Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal and Maldives as part of
These teams, he claimed, had been deployed by US Pacific
Command (PACOM) as part of its effort to enhance their
counter-terrorism capabilities, in particular in the maritime
"We have currently special forces assist teams - Pacific
assist teams is the term - laid down in Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri
Lanka, Maldives, as well as India," Admiral Robert Willard,
the PACOM Commander, told US lawmakers at a Congressional
hearing on Thursday.
India also yesterday rejected his statement, with its
Defence Ministry saying that "US Special Forces Teams have
never been stationed in India in the past, nor are such teams
stationed in the country presently."
Brigadier Hapuarachchi, however, said the Sri Lankan army
had invited four countries -- which he did not identify -- to
come with teams comprising 68 foreign servicemen attached to
elite Special Forces for its annual `Comoran Strike` SEAL
(Sea, Air and Land) training exercise, which is to be held in
The exercise, in which 2,500 Sri Lankan servicemen would
participate, was aimed at enhancing the striking capabilities,
especially in amphibious warfare operations.
The training is focused on improving decision-making,
commanding and efficiency in deciding command capabilities at
a given situation, Hapuarachchi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested