None of our personnel have foreign citizenship: Pa
Islamabad: Amidst a controversy over persons with dual nationality holding public office, the Pakistan Army on Thursday said none of its personnel of any rank has foreign citizenship.
"At present, no army personnel of any rank holds any foreign nationality," said a spokesman of the Inter-Services Public Relations, the military`s media wing.
According to military rules, no one in service is allowed to have dual nationality.
"If someone has dual nationality, he has to surrender the foreign nationality before joining the service," the spokesman said.
The Supreme Court has suspended nine lawmakers from the national and provincial assemblies on the ground that they had dual nationality.
Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik is among those affected by the apex court`s actions.
Malik has resigned as a member of the Senate or upper house of parliament.
The Supreme Court suspended his membership of the Senate after he was unable to provide evidence that he had renounced his British citizenship.
Political leaders and media commentators have alleged in recent weeks that some members of the superior judiciary and military personnel too had dual nationality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan