None of our personnel have foreign citizenship: Pa
Islamabad: Amidst a controversy over persons with dual nationality holding public office, the Pakistan Army on Thursday said none of its personnel of any rank has foreign citizenship.
"At present, no army personnel of any rank holds any foreign nationality," said a spokesman of the Inter-Services Public Relations, the military`s media wing.
According to military rules, no one in service is allowed to have dual nationality.
"If someone has dual nationality, he has to surrender the foreign nationality before joining the service," the spokesman said.
The Supreme Court has suspended nine lawmakers from the national and provincial assemblies on the ground that they had dual nationality.
Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik is among those affected by the apex court`s actions.
Malik has resigned as a member of the Senate or upper house of parliament.
The Supreme Court suspended his membership of the Senate after he was unable to provide evidence that he had renounced his British citizenship.
Political leaders and media commentators have alleged in recent weeks that some members of the superior judiciary and military personnel too had dual nationality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe