Normalcy returns to IDP welfare camp after firing incident
Colombo: The relief camps in Vavuniya which shelters about 2.5 lakh Tamil IDPS, returned to normalcy after last week violence that left three persons injured and
resulted in arrest of 19 people.
Menik Farm relief villages returned to normalcy yesterday after the Saturday evening incident when the security forces foiled an organised attempt by a group of people moving from the Zone-1 to forcibly enter Zone-2 possibly with an attempt to escape.
According to military spokesman Udaya Nanayakkara, when the troops prevented the forcible entry of the crowd which was swelling in numbers, they began to attack the army sentries with clubs and stones.
"The Army fired in self-defence as the people were throwing stones at the troops providing security to the displaced persons in the camp", the spokesman added.
According to an official, two children and a woman were injured in the violence. They have been admitted to the Chettikulam Hospital in Vavuniya.
Police later arrested nineteen persons for instigating violence in the welfare camp.
The military was compelled to take action to disperse the unruly crowd and was forced to fire in the air, the official said.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the wounded suspects and a group of people had links with the terrorists (LTTE), the government website said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof