Not engaging with China `detrimental` for Maldives
Male: Maldives` new President Mohamed Waheed Hassan has reaffirmed to strengthen trade and cultural ties with China, saying that it is detrimental to the Asia`s smallest country not to engage with the world`s emerging powerful nation.
Talking to a group of selected media persons, the President said on Thursday that he would continue the Chinese mission started by his predecessor and carry on the good relationship with China, Xinhua reported.
"Like everybody in the world we are trying to promote our trade in China. China is emerging as one of the most powerful countries in the world economically," he said.
"It will be to the detriment of Maldives not to engage with China. So we will continue to work with China and promote trade and cultural relations," the new president said.
Over the last two weeks, the Maldives has been undergoing a political turmoil where the former president Mohamed Nasheed complained that he was ousted with a coup orchestrated by the military-backed political opponents.
Earlier in a triumph of diplomacy, India on Thursday managed to broker a political deal in the Maldives, with all political parties agreeing to hold elections "as early as possible", paving the way for a political reconciliation in the island nation.
The country plunged into turmoil after Nasheed`s resignation on February 07.
The breakthrough came after Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai, the second senior Indian diplomat to visit the Maldives after the dramatic transfer of power, held talks with key political figures, including ousted president Mohamed Nasheed and his successor Mohamed Hassan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town