Not engaging with China `detrimental` for Maldives
Male: Maldives` new President Mohamed Waheed Hassan has reaffirmed to strengthen trade and cultural ties with China, saying that it is detrimental to the Asia`s smallest country not to engage with the world`s emerging powerful nation.
Talking to a group of selected media persons, the President said on Thursday that he would continue the Chinese mission started by his predecessor and carry on the good relationship with China, Xinhua reported.
"Like everybody in the world we are trying to promote our trade in China. China is emerging as one of the most powerful countries in the world economically," he said.
"It will be to the detriment of Maldives not to engage with China. So we will continue to work with China and promote trade and cultural relations," the new president said.
Over the last two weeks, the Maldives has been undergoing a political turmoil where the former president Mohamed Nasheed complained that he was ousted with a coup orchestrated by the military-backed political opponents.
Earlier in a triumph of diplomacy, India on Thursday managed to broker a political deal in the Maldives, with all political parties agreeing to hold elections "as early as possible", paving the way for a political reconciliation in the island nation.
The country plunged into turmoil after Nasheed`s resignation on February 07.
The breakthrough came after Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai, the second senior Indian diplomat to visit the Maldives after the dramatic transfer of power, held talks with key political figures, including ousted president Mohamed Nasheed and his successor Mohamed Hassan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- 'Madaari' grosses Rs 4.45 crore worldwide on opening day
- One jawan martyred as Army foils infiltration bid in Kupwara, curfew lifted from parts of Valley
- 'Casino Royale' actress Caterina Murino was sleepless over rape cases in India
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!
- India-Bangladesh border will be secured, says Assam CM Sonowal