Nothing substantial found in alleged mass grave in Lanka
Colombo: Contrary to suspicions, Sri Lankan investigators hardly found any evidence as they carried out digging of a site where the Tamil Tigers are alleged to have mass buried government troops killed by them.
Only a few pieces of clothes and some empty bullets were found from the site, military officials said.
The government investigators comprising forensic experts exhumed the area where four LTTE detainees had confessed that it was "a place where 26 Sri Lankan military soldiers both from Army and Navy were buried".
The site on the border of Kilinochchi and Mulativu districts was a stronghold of the now eliminated LTTE.
Police suspected that the soldiers who may have been executed were those undeclared as captives by the LTTE to international humanitarian organisations.
The details of the suspected mass grave came up during an interrogation of arrested LTTE cadres by the Terrorists Investigation Unit of the Sri Lanka police.
They reportedly told the police that the LTTE shot and killed the captives and later burnt their bodies and buried when government troops marched into Kilinochchi early last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof