Notice to ex-Bangladeshi PM for celebrating b`dday on August 15
Dhaka: A legal notice has been served to Bangladesh`s former prime minister Khaleda Zia, demanding a clarification on her party celebrating her birthday that coincides with the National Mourning Day.
Two lawyers, KM Nazibullah and Balaram Poddar served a notice to BNP chief Zia asking her to explain why her party was celebrating her birthday on August 15, the day when the country`s founder Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was assassinated in a military putsch 34 years ago.
Though Zia is not celebrating the birthday at family level, her party and front organisation leaders were involved in celebrations on her "65th birthday" cutting a huge 65 kilogram cake at the BNP`s central office last evening.
She was set to join the main celebration later today at her office at posh Gulshan area, a party spokesman said.
But the notice said it was evident from available documents that Zia had taken the matriculation examinations in 1961, registering the date of her birth as September 5, 1947.
Earlier media reports claimed her previous passport and examination documents of her early school days contained another two dates and the four different dates of birth led to a controversy. The BNP started celebrating her birthday on August 15 while it was in power from 1991 to 1996.
"You are celebrating the birthday on August 15 only to undermine the significance of the day, which is observed as National Mourning Day," the notice said.
The notice said action would be taken against her for creating "confusion regarding the matter" if she failed to give a clarification on her actual birthday in next seven
A case filed in 1997 regarding her controversial birthday is still pending with the High Court.
On November 30, 2008, a Supreme Court lawyer issued another legal notice to the Election Commission demanding her name be dropped from the electoral roll on charges of furnishing "false and misleading information on the date of her birth and educational qualifications".
The commission at that time apparently preferred to ignore the notice considering the sensitivity of the matter particularly ahead of the crucial December 29 general elections to end the two years of state of emergency under an interim government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow