Now, Pakistan gets an Aam Aadmi Party
Lahore: The success of Aam Admi Party in India seems to have crossed boundaries and inspired people in Pakistan, where a party has been launched with the same name.
A group led by Arslan-ul-Mulk, a rights activist from Gujranwala, has registered Aam Admi Party (AAP) with the Election Commission of Pakistan.
The AAP chairman said his party will strive to make Pakistan a country as dreamt by its founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah.
Interestingly, Mulk has announced to sit on a hunger strike, a form of protest widely undertaken by the leaders of Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP, outside Punjab Assembly next week.
The leaders of AAP will sit on strike in front of the Assembly demanding acceptance of Police Reforms and Anti Torture Bill 2014. The assembly is currently in session.
"Is today`s Pakistan Quaid-e-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah had envisioned? Is this a state where all are equal and enjoying the fruits of freedom? The present leadership, both political and bureaucracy, has lost the essence of why Pakistan was created". The AAP will strive for that cherished dream of the founder of Pakistan," Mulk said.
He said: "Twenty AAP workers and I were detained and tortured at central Jail Gujranwala last month. Physical assaults, illegal forced physical labour and detention in solitary cells kept for hardened criminals commonly known as "Chaki`s" were meted out to us."
He said his party would protest against police torture.
"I have chosen hunger strike as an ultimate mode of political protest against pervasive injustice," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened