Obama asked to protect religious minorities in Bangladesh
Washington: Protesting against the rise in violence against minorities in Bangladesh, Hindus of Bangladeshi-origin gathered outside the White House here, asking US President Barack Obama to protect them and enlist radical Jamat-e-Islami as a foreign terrorist group.
Raising slogans like "We do not want Talibanisation of Bangladesh" and "Save Hindus", Bangladeshi American Hindus in a memorandum asked Obama to save the religious minorities of Bangladesh and enlist "Jamat-e-Islami, Bangladesh" as a foreign terrorist organisation.
"We are urging everyone to be united in outrage and by humanity and do all you can to save the endangered minorities of Bangladesh," the memorandum said as the protestors demanded enactment of hate crime laws by the Bangladeshi Government.
They also demanded establishment of a monitoring cell with prosecutorial authority to monitor, prevent, and prosecute all communal incidents; and creation of a Minority Welfare Ministry with authority to create a special police force drawn from the minority populace.
The peaceful protest rally was organised by the supported Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council, with support from various other organisations like Hindu American Foundation and the Indian American Intellectual Forum.
"Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council, USA is calling upon the civilised world to come to the protection of these innocent and peaceful people who have committed no other wrongs than belonging to faiths other than what the terrorists would choose for them. They can count on no one and go nowhere," the statement said.
Meanwhile, another organisation - American United for Human Rights - announced to hold a mass rally of American Muslims in New York on Saturday to demand establishment of independent war crimes tribunal that meets the standards of international law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof