Obama calls Karzai ahead of Afghan war review: Kabul
Kabul: President Barack Obama discussed the
US review of the war in Afghanistan with Afghan counterpart
Hamid Karzai on Thursday, with both stressing a "focus on the
sanctuary of terrorists", Kabul said.
The phrase is an apparent reference to Pakistan`s
semi-autonomous tribal belt on the Afghan border, which is a
base for Taliban fighters operating in Afghanistan and the
global headquarters of al Qaeda.
Obama called Karzai and the two agreed that security
improvements in some areas must be built upon further,
Karzai`s office said.
The United States is expected to say today that its
strategy against the nine-year Taliban insurgency is on track
in the review of the surge implemented last year which saw an
extra 30,000 US troops sent to Afghanistan.
"Both presidents agreed that security gains had been
made in many areas in Afghanistan and that improvements in
security and stability in some provinces required to be
consolidated," the statement said.
"Both presidents also emphasised that a sustainable
success required focus on the sanctuary of the terrorists."
US-led troops are fighting to reverse the Taliban
insurgency against Karzai`s government, which is supported by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan