Observer group alleges widespread fraud in Afghan polls
Kabul: The largest Afghan election observer group said on Monday that fraud, electoral violations and irregularities were widely recorded during the country`s Parliamentary Elections.
"Fraud took many forms," Nader Naderi, chairman of Free and Fair Election Foundations of Afghanistan (FEFA), said.
FEFA deployed around 7,000 observers to 34 provinces to monitor Saturday`s Parliamentary Elections, the second since the ouster of Taliban regime in late 2001.
The team recorded ballot-stuffing at 280 polling stations, Naderi said, adding that underage voting was registered in 1,259 sites, proxy voting in 390 centres and repeat voting at 1,228 stations.
A total of 5,355 polling sites were opened on Saturday, but due to security constraints more than 300 others scheduled to open remained shut.
There were conflicting reports about the number of attacks conducted by the Taliban. FEFA reported 276 incidents, while government officials put the number at 305 and NATO said there were more than 400 attacks.
Officials said the militants failed to derail the process. A total of 21 civilians, three election workers and eight soldiers died.
More than four million people cast ballots among 2,500 candidates vying for 249 seats in lower house of Parliament. The turnout was 40 percent of registered voters, the Independent Election Commission said.
Allegations of fraud could undermine the legitimacy of the elections, which cost USD 150 million.
The vote is seen as a test for President Hamid Karzai, who himself was elected in a fraud-marred polls last year.
Prior to the elections, observers and many candidates had expressed concerns about interference of Karzai`s allies in the vote.
Naderi said his team registered violations and intimidation by regional politicians. "Powerbrokers and their supporters carried out 157 serious of acts of violence in 28 provinces."
The group said it "has serious concerns about the quality of the elections", and urged the government, election authorities and the international community to assist a UN-backed Election Complaint Commission to investigate fraud and coercion.
Final official results were expected around the end of October, but preliminary results could be declared early next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt