Officials axed, Pakistan fake drugs kill 109
Islamabad: Punjab`s state health secretary has been sacked following the death of 109 heart patients due to the use of fake drugs in a leading Pakistani hospital, a media report said Sunday.
The government also axed on Saturday night officials of the Punjab Institute of Cardiology (PIC) in Lahore, Dawn News reported.
The Lahore High Court will be asked to inquire into the deaths.
Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, who also holds the health portfolio, ordered the removal of provincial health secretary Jahanzeb Khan and the institute`s chief executive Muhammad Azhar.
Sharif also ordered the suspension of two other officials.
The death toll in the scandalous use of spurious drugs to treat patients rose to 109 on Saturday after three more people died. The health department has confirmed only 85 deaths.
A health department spokesman said 37 patients affected by the drugs had recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested