Officials confirm 38 deaths in Afghanistan quake, floods
Zee Media Bureau
Kabul: A powerful earthquake that struck Afghanistan this week and the flash floods that ensued killed at least 38 people and caused massive damage to property, agencies quoted the presidential palace as saying.
`Yesterday`s quake killed 17 and injured 126 in the eastern province of Nangarhar while 300 homes were damaged,` agencies quoted a Palace statement.
In Kunar, one person was killed, four injured and 45 homes damaged.
Flash floods killed 20 and damaged 1,900 houses in Balkh.
Floods had also cost lives and damaged property in Ghor and Baghlan provinces, the statement said.
President Hamid Karzai had ordered emergency help for victims, it added.
Provincial government spokesman confirmed 16 deaths adding the toll may rise.
Private sector, central government and relief agencies have agreed to provide emergency aid.
Mud houses were worst hit by the floodwaters in Balkh.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply