Officials confirm 38 deaths in Afghanistan quake, floods
Zee Media Bureau
Kabul: A powerful earthquake that struck Afghanistan this week and the flash floods that ensued killed at least 38 people and caused massive damage to property, agencies quoted the presidential palace as saying.
`Yesterday`s quake killed 17 and injured 126 in the eastern province of Nangarhar while 300 homes were damaged,` agencies quoted a Palace statement.
In Kunar, one person was killed, four injured and 45 homes damaged.
Flash floods killed 20 and damaged 1,900 houses in Balkh.
Floods had also cost lives and damaged property in Ghor and Baghlan provinces, the statement said.
President Hamid Karzai had ordered emergency help for victims, it added.
Provincial government spokesman confirmed 16 deaths adding the toll may rise.
Private sector, central government and relief agencies have agreed to provide emergency aid.
Mud houses were worst hit by the floodwaters in Balkh.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best