Olympics visa scam: UK agents in Pakistan
London: Highly-trained British agents have been in Pakistan working with authorities there to prevent security breaches during the Olympic Games in London.
The news came after British tabloid, The Sun, reported that a crime ring in Pakistan was offering to provide fake passports and visas, as well as help smuggle bogus individuals into Olympic venues posing as members of athletes` support teams, reports the Daily Star.
An undercover reporter was provided with a fake Pakistani passport for GBP 600 and he was offered a UK visa and an official letter saying he was part of the Olympic squad`s entourage for a further GBP 7,000, which the newspaper suggested could provide an avenue for terrorists seeking to target the Games, The Sun had stated.
The Prime Minister`s spokesman said: "My understanding is that we are confident that we have the checks in place and the arrangements in place to deal with these issues. The delegation lists for the Olympic Games are very tightly controlled and when it comes to Pakistan we have had highly-trained staff based in Pakistan dealing with the authorities there to deal with this."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Committee flags gaps, vulnerability in Indo-Pak border fencing
- Argentine football legend Diego Maradona's passport stolen, unable to travel to Dubai
- RBI calls for ownership change of companies with sticky loan accounts
- Building a sports culture crucial to winning medals at Olympics: Pullela Gopichand
- Maharashtra, Haryana Assemblies unanimously ratify GST Bill