On Independence Day, Pak frees 55 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistan on Wednesday freed 55 Indian fishermen from a jail in the southern port city of Karachi as a gesture of goodwill on the occasion of India`s Independence Day.
The fishermen were released from Landhi Jail in Karachi. They will be sent to Lahore to be repatriated via the Wagah land border tomorrow, sources said.
Most of the fishermen are from Gujarat.
The decision to release them was made by the government as a goodwill gesture in view of India`s Independence Day, state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
Pakistan had released 315 Indian fishermen, including 14 teenagers, in June.
Over 80 Indian fishermen are still in Pakistani jails while some 120 Pakistani fishermen are in Indian jails.
The two countries have stepped up efforts to release prisoners after they resumed their bilateral peace process last year after a gap of over two years in the wake of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL