One accused identified in girl flogging case: Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities on Saturday said
they have identified one of the Taliban militants seen in a
video of the public flogging of a girl in the restive Swat
valley – an incident that had shocked people around the world
earlier this year.
Ameer alias Chota Aftab, who was allegedly involved in
flogging the 17-year-old girl, was identified by authorities
at the central jail in Dera Ismail Khan.
He was arrested some time ago along with eight other
persons from Swat, officials were quoted as saying by TV news
Officials said Ameer had been taken to an undisclosed
location for questioning.
The video of the girl`s flogging, shot on a mobile phone
and circulated by rights activists, had sparked shock and
revulsion across Pakistan and around the world in April.
It had also generated public support for the
government`s decision to launch a military operation against
the Taliban in Swat.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani ordered an inquiry
into the incident and Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar
Chaudhry too took suo moto notice of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says