One accused identified in public girl flogging case: Pak
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have
identified one of the Taliban militants seen in a video of the
public flogging of a girl in the restive Swat valley – an
incident that had shocked people around the world earlier this
Ameer alias Chota Aftab, who was allegedly involved in
flogging the 17-year-old girl, was identified by authorities
at the central jail in Dera Ismail Khan.
He was arrested some time ago along with eight other
persons from Swat, officials were quoted as saying by TV news
Officials said Ameer had been taken to an undisclosed
location for questioning.
The video of the girl`s flogging, shot on a mobile phone
and circulated by rights activists, had sparked shock and
revulsion across Pakistan and around the world in April.
It had also generated public support for the
government`s decision to launch a military operation against
the Taliban in Swat.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani ordered an inquiry
into the incident and Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar
Chaudhary too took suo moto notice of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal