One accused identified in public girl flogging case: Pak
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have
identified one of the Taliban militants seen in a video of the
public flogging of a girl in the restive Swat valley – an
incident that had shocked people around the world earlier this
Ameer alias Chota Aftab, who was allegedly involved in
flogging the 17-year-old girl, was identified by authorities
at the central jail in Dera Ismail Khan.
He was arrested some time ago along with eight other
persons from Swat, officials were quoted as saying by TV news
Officials said Ameer had been taken to an undisclosed
location for questioning.
The video of the girl`s flogging, shot on a mobile phone
and circulated by rights activists, had sparked shock and
revulsion across Pakistan and around the world in April.
It had also generated public support for the
government`s decision to launch a military operation against
the Taliban in Swat.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani ordered an inquiry
into the incident and Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar
Chaudhary too took suo moto notice of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video