One-fourth of Pak Constitution to be amended
Islamabad: The Pakistani Constitution is all set to undergo a major overhaul. For the first time in the country’s parliamentary history, one-fourth of the articles in the Constitution are being amended and that too with a ‘consensus’.
As per a report in The Dawn, the Parliamentary Committee on Constitutional Reforms – constituted to frame a package of wide-ranging constitutional reforms, including a proposal to strip the President of his sweeping powers - has suggested over 100 amendments to more than 70 articles of the Constitution. Senator Raza Rabbani heads the Committee.
The Rabbani committee had also put forward a suggestion to eliminate person-specific changes proposed by military rulers through legal framework orders, and which were later endorsed by Parliament. It further called for some vital changes in the articles related to provincial autonomy.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Babar Awan, a close aide of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, has described the package as the "biggest" set of constitutional reforms in 37 years.
The Rabbani committee, which was formed in 2009, is expected to give a proposal to strip the president of his sweeping powers.
According to reports, the committee proposes to abolish the Concurrent List from the Constitution, giving the provinces rights to do legislation on a number of subjects which have hitherto been under the control of the federal government.
The package is aimed at achieving the people`s dream of a "federalist Islamic republic" by removing constitutional changes introduced during the last two spells of martial law in Pakistan, Awan said.
He was referring to changes made to the Constitution by former military rulers Zia-ul-Haq and Pervez Musharraf.
The package will also restore the Constitution to its status in 1973, ensure the independence of the judiciary and make the executive more effective, Awan said.
Pakistan`s then president Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto had endorsed a new Constitution in April 1973 but subsequent military rulers had introduced several changes to strengthen their grip on power.
Since the Pakistan People`s Party came to power in the 2008 general election, opposition parties have been pushing the government to strip the president of his sweeping powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark