Only Nepalese people can decide on becoming Hindu nation: BJP
Kathmandu: Nepal can only be declared a Hindu state if Nepalese people wanted it and not just because some BJP leaders think so, a senior party leader said here on Monday.
"The people of Nepal want a constitution through the formation of Constituent Assembly (CA) as soon as possible. Nepal will definitely be declared a Hindu state if the people of Nepal want it through the CA," said Bhagat Singh Koshyari, the former Uttarakhand chief minister.
"But it won`t happen just because BJP leaders like Narendra Modi, BJP national president Rajnath Singh or I want it," Koshyari was quoted as saying by Ekantipur news portal. "Whatever the Nepali people want, we also wish for the same," the visiting BJP leader said.
Koshiyari, however, made it clear that neither Modi nor Singh have ever spoken anything about reinstating Nepal as a Hindu nation.
The BJP leader claimed that Nepal will be called a Hindu majority nation as the majority of the people are Hindu and no one can destroy the Hindu tradition by the wish of someone.
He said India`s main concern is democracy and development in Nepal regardless of government model be it monarchy or British system.
Nepal, a Hindu kingdom for two and a half centuries, was declared a secular republic in 2008 and monarchy was abolished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing