`Only Nepali Cong-led govt can complete peace process`
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress vice president and one of the strong contenders for the Prime Minister`s post Ramchandra Poudyal on Friday said that his party has support from both the CPN-UML and the Madhesi parties to form a government under its leadership.
The majority of the leaders of the CPN-UML are in favour of a Nepali Congress-led government and key Madhesi parties including the Madhesi People`s Rights Forum-led by Upenda Yadav would also join the government, Poudyal claimed.
Though UML chairman Jhalanath Khanal is trying to form a government under his leadership with the support from the UCPN-Maoist, majority of the leaders of his own party do not favour such a government having Maoist supremacy, he said.
Poudyal also claimed that it would be in the advantage of the Maoists themselves to join the Nepali Congress-led government.
"Only a NC-led government can conclude the peace process as the party has been steering the peace process since the beginning," he said, adding the Maoists need to support a NC-led government if they want to complete the peace process and draft a new Constitution within the stipulated time frame of May 2011.
By joining the NC-led government the Maoists will also be able to garner international support and get democratic credential to them, he said.
"The Maoists cannot head the government in this situation as they have not been fully committed to the Comprehensive Peace Accord," he said.
He asked the Maoists to show their commitment to peace and democracy by implementing all past agreements relating to the peace process.
In a question, he said that the Maoists combatants should be integrated into the security forces on the basis of one combatant one weapon. The Maoists are demanding bulk integration of their 19,000 strong People`s Liberation Army.
He said the Nepali Congress will focus on three things, peace, democracy and good government if a new government is formed under its leadership.
"If we can focus on completing the peace process, drafting a democratic Constitution and adopt good governance then the door for Nepal`s development will open," he said.
The Nepali Congress on Thursday decided to form a government under its leadership and to seek support from other political parties for the same.
The party will unveil its road map to peace and new Constitution today in sharp contradiction with the Maoists` roadmap, which aims at bulk integration of their combatants.
The party will officially decide its Prime Ministerial candidate tomorrow and Poudyal looks front-runner though he would face discontent from former premier Sher Bahadur Deuba.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!