Oppn can`t bar my entry into Parliament: Gilani
Lahore: Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said he does not need any opposition leader’s permission to enter the National Assembly (NA), as he was a unanimously elected Prime Minister and Member of Parliament.
Interacting with a delegation of lawyers at the Governor’s House here, Gilani said he would uphold the supremacy of the Constitution at all costs.
Gilani said the contempt of court case against him was yet to be concluded and that it was still a sub judice matter.
He said that his government would challenge the Supreme Court’s verdict.
“It is well known that proceedings under an appeal are considered continuity of the original case. The PPP’s leadership did not raise any question regarding the Mehran Bank scandal since the matter is sub judice,” The Daily Times quoted Gilani, as saying.
“The president of Pakistan enjoys immunity under Article 248. How could I write a letter to Swiss authorities for opening a case against an elected president who is the symbol of federation? I followed the advice not to write a letter as the constitution provides immunity to the president,” he added.
Gilani said that although cases were registered against him in anti-terrorism courts, he was strictly following law of the land and the Constitution.
He also claimed that he was the “longest serving Prime Minister” and the President had addressed the joint session of Parliament for the fifth time “which is unprecedented in the history of Pakistan”.
“It is a matter of pride that at present there is no political prisoner in the country and the media is free,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured