Opposition attacked Buddhists: Bangladesh
Merunglua: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s government is blaming Islamic radicals and opposition activists for attacks over the weekend on minority Buddhists and their temples in southern Bangladesh.
"In primary investigations, we have found that organised radical Islamic groups attacked the houses and places of worship," Home Minister Mohiudddin Khan Alamgir told reporters after a visit to the scene yesterday. "Activists of the opposition parties were also among the attacks."
Alamgir accused local opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party lawmaker Lutfar Rahman Kajal of instigating the attack, a charge denied by the opposition legislator.
Hundreds of Buddhists fled their southern Bangladesh villages in the wake of attacks by Muslims who burned at least 10 Buddhist temples and 40 homes in anger over a Facebook photo deemed anti-Islam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video