Opposition enforces nonstop blockade in Bangladesh, 1 killed
Dhaka: One person was killed on the first day of opposition parties` countrywide nonstop blockade in Bangladesh to foil the January 5 general election.
An activist of Jubo Dal - a front organisation of main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) - was killed when security personnel opened fire on protesters in retaliation for their attack in east-central Chandpur district, police said.
Blockade campaigners attacked a Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) vehicle on its way to Hajiganj area in the district, they said.
The opposition members started pelting stones at the BGB vehicle. The troopers tried to chase them away leading to the clash.
Besides this incident, no other major untoward incident was reported from any corner of the country. Security personnel are maintaining a tight vigil across the country.
The BNP-led 18-party opposition alliance is boycotting the polls and political violence during nationwide strikes and blockades enforced by the opposition have left over 120 people dead and crippled the economy since November. It was demanding election under non-party caretaker government to oversee the polls.
Besides the opposition, a key ally of Hasina`s Awami League party has also boycotted the polls.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, however, insists the vote will go ahead as planned.
Since declaration of the election schedule in November, the opposition had observed nationwide blockade for 22 days in five phases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency