`Osama doc` Afridi cooking own food in jail
Peshawar: Jailed Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi, who was arrested after he was found ``guilty`` of allegedly helping the US track down Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad, has been cooking his own meals in prison, as he fears he might be poisoned.
The News quoted official sources, as saying that Dr Afridi has been lodged in a one-room quarter having a veranda and small kitchen, where he cooks his own food. The sources have claimed that until now, Dr Afridi has not made any demands for shifting from the prison to another place.
However, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Government has time and again demanded that the federal government shift him somewhere else due to fears of a militant attack and possible poisoning.
Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain recently asked the federal government again to shift Dr Afridi to another province and to a more secure place, because his "life is in danger in the Peshawar jail". But the Punjab and Sindh Governments are not ready to take the burden, stating that hosting him is a huge risk.
Dr Afridi was sentenced on May 23 for 33 years in jail by an assistant political agent`s court in Bara, Khyber Agency, after he was found guilty of committing crime in the jurisdiction of the tribal areas. He was convicted under the Frontier Crimes Regulation (FCR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!